Pages

Thursday, 7 June 2012

Russian Correspondence I

So I know this post is a little overdue but I had been struggling to think of something to write about. I could have written about my new digs, but that involves talking about my witch of a landlady and I don't want to give myself an aneurism. Men might have been an interesting topic, but I'm not seventeen, and I learnt from experience that blogging in too much detail about your personal life does not tend to endear you to those involved in it. Plus my love life is an embarrassment that barely deserves such attention. Whole books could be filled with hypotheses about what goes on in the heads (and other parts) of Russian men, and I think I'll leave that to more capable and, ahem, 'experienced' writers.

Having said that, whilst still mulling over what to post, I came across two pieces of correspondence that I thought were worth sharing. They are both letters, of sorts, written by Russian men, but that's about where the similarities end.


As an English teacher I do feel a twinge of guilt about sharing the first, but reading it made my day, so I felt compelled to spread the mirth. 

I am reliably informed that stepping out of the house at any point in the last week or so back home in the UK has meant navigating an obstacle course of flags, bunting and commemorative china. Over here however, the novelty of the Jubilee hasn't yet worn thin. Like the wedding last year, it's an occasion when some of our students actually take an interest in British, as opposed to American, culture. A nice change from them complaining that our accents are too difficult to understand, or giving me blank looks when I mention Brief Encounter (if it's not Harry Potter or Sherlock Holmes it's not important). 

As part of our school's Jubilee festivities, our DOS thought it would be a nice idea for our students to send letters to Queen Liz; 60 letters for 60 years on the throne. They will be sent to Buckingham Palace, uncorrected (red pen all over the place isn't so attractive), but I think I may have to sneak a full-stop into this one before it goes.



Irrefutable evidence that punctuation is a powerful force that should not be taken for granted. 









2 comments:

  1. Let's eat grandma!
    Let's eat, grandma!

    Punctuation saves lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me chuckle!

    I have just started blogging myself, and would be happy if you could have a look at mine and maybe leave some feedback! (www.northernladinmoscow.com)

    Keep the good blogging up! :)

    ReplyDelete