Pages

Thursday, 24 September 2015

Gerunds and Infinitives with songs

A few days ago I was looking for something to help my pre-intermediate teens with verbs followed by either a gerund or to-infinitive. The course book we use presented the structure through a pretty uninspiring text, so I wanted something a little bit more engaging.

I found this great worksheet by Sticky Grammar that takes extracts from lots of different songs. Students complete the lyrics with a gerund or infinitive form and then listen to the compilation track to check.There's also some videos on YouTube with more examples: here and here.

However, my students are encountering these patterns for the first time and so I want something a bit more simple. I created my own version of this activity using only gerunds and infinitives with to. There are no bare infinitives or two-object verbs and, for the most part, the initial verbs are in present simple.

To make it a bit more challenging I put the songs on the worksheet in a different order from the video. So you could have students simply put them in order on the first listen if you want to make it a little easier or tune their ears in first.

The way I see it you can use this in two ways.
  1. As an introductory/consciousness-raising activity - Students listen to the songs and complete the lyrics at the same time. Then the difference in verb forms can be highlighted and worked on.
  2. As a review activity - Students try to complete the lyrics before listening. Then play the video for students to check. This has worked well for me at the top of the lesson after the structure was introduced.
Here's the worksheet



And here's the video




I hope you find it useful. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment